At one point during the week that R and I spent in Alaska this past summer, our friend and adventure buddy accidentally spoonerized a certain phrase. We were discussing what to buy for groceries and what sort of drinks we could make, and although she intended to suggest “whiskey gingers,” what came out was “gingy whiskers.”
It was too good a name to pass up, so I filed the name away in my brain, waiting to develop a drink to go with it. I think I’ve figured it out:
- 2 oz. whiskey
- 4 oz. ginger ale
- 1. Pour the whiskey into a glass. Add honey to taste--I usually do a teaspoon or two. Stir to dissolve.
- 2. Squeeze half of a lemon over the drink.
- 3. Add ice.
- 4. Top with ginger ale. Stir.
- 5. Garnish with lemon.
- One of the difficulties with this drink is dissolving the honey; pouring it over ice is decidedly antithetical to your desires. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go here.
- Ginger beer like Reed's or Cock & Bull would kick this recipe up another notch.
- This is (obviously) a rough recipe. Adapt it to your tastes.